Tuesday, July 05, 2005

America: Greatest Country Ever

I wish I was in L.A. these days. I miss the weather. July 4th, my parents and I saw some fireworks in a town called Etowah, Tennessee. Population: 3,639. It was a drizzly muggy night, but the show was great.

America is the greatest country. Now, I have friends that freak out when I say that, because they say, "Oh, other countries have rich cultures, ancient customs and wonderful history..." Well, that may be true, but it ain't America. We are free. And, to love America means you love freedom. That isn't limited to one country. To have disdain for love of America is to have disdain for freedom. Loving America isn't narrow-minded. In fact, it's one of the widest-minded loves there are. The love for people to be free, for society to experience justice, and the power for people to self-govern.

Some other countries seem great on the surface. The average income seems high. The quality of life appears to be okay. But, if you look below the surface you begin to realize that those countries are basically communist. And, they come begging America for help when they get in trouble, like whiney children.

Some of you are probably irritated by those words. Maybe infuriated. Well, sorry. I love liberty and freedom. I like John Stuart Mill. And, freedom of religion. (the seperation of church and state was drafted in part by a Baptist, mind you.) When people credit Thomas Jefferson for the actual phrase "separation between Church and State", he was basing that phrase on a statement by famous historical Baptist, Roger Williams. Thomas Jefferson was writing a letter to a Baptist church, which is why I guess he used the Williams terminology. Here is what Roger Williams said:

When they have opened a gap in the hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the Church and the wilderness of the world, God hath ever broke down the wall itself, removed the candlestick, and made his garden a wilderness, as at this day. And that there fore if He will eer please to restore His garden and paradise again, it must of necessity be walled in peculiarly unto Himself from the world...(2)

Enough sermon. The point is, I like the government to have its grubby hands off the church. And, I like baseball. And hot dogs. I love Coca-Cola. And Johnny Cash. I wish I owned a Corvette. Some other countries are nice, but I love America. It's the best country ever.

No comments: