Thursday, July 07, 2005

grateful baptists


grateful baptists
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

During my first two years of college, I was a part of a drama ministry group called "OOMITS". It stood for "Out of Mind, in the Spirit." Cheesey, I know. Our uniforms were light blue denim shirts, and kakhis. We travelled to area churches and performed a whole slew of skits and dramatic musical interpretations. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being Mozart genius, and 1 being low budget schlock, our skits and performances were a solid 2.6. We performed in sunday night services. Sometimes sunday morning. Often times we performed for youth services. Oh, we were serious.

Travelling to so many services afforded us the opportunity to meet many fascinating people and have many interesting and strange encounters. The following is one of my favorite "OOMITS" tales.

One sunday morning we headed off to a small Baptist church in the middle of nowhere. We travelled so much, I didn't know where we were half the time. This church building was very old, dark, and ornate. Most of the few hundred congregation members were of the "elderly" persuasion, if you know what I mean. They were friendly, though. And so was the pastor. He was a shorter, middle-aged guy. He sported a nice dark blue suit and a black mustache. A really nice guy.

After we performed our hand full of skits, we sat through the rest of the worship service. Music, sermon, standard fare. At the end of the service, we (the entire congregation) were instructed to stand and join hands as we sang the final song. The words were printed in the program. It was a nice tune about joining together, and loving each other. Whatever.

Afterward, our small acting troupe was invited to eat lunch with the pastor and a handful of moderately elderly church members who had made food. So, we sat in the basement in the "fellowship hall", enjoying our meal and chatting with the pastor.

"So, did any of you recognize that song we sang at the end of the service?"

We were blank. I had never heard it before.

"Well, I probably wouldn't want to tell any of my members this, because I know they wouldn't like it. But, that's a Grateful Dead song. Tune and all."

Um...excuse me? You are actually rad enough to, first of all, be familiar enough with their music to pick a song to sing in church? And secondly, you don't tell your members because you're afraid they wouldn't like it? So, we're standing in a church service, standing, hands joined, singing a Grateful Dead tune and only one sicko in the room knows what's happening? Brilliant.

2 comments:

---- said...

was I there? ps evan - i have thought of you so many times since i have been in hong kong... everytime i hear someone speaking in chinese... i just see you in my head doing "the first day of kindergarden"... i swear to god i think you know what you are saying when you do that. anyway - i've thought of you often and i wanted you to know that! i think next time i go to asia i'll bring you... it will be more fun. email me while i'm here... i'd love to hear how you are.

Courtney said...

Evan.....ahhhh OOMITS. I'm pretty sure that's where you and I first met. Thank you for making my day with that lovely rememberance. I don't think I was there, but maybe I just missed the conversation. Just started a blog. Maybe you'll read it sometime. Or not. Whatever. Either way, I just wanted to point out for old times sake that Britney Spears and I are pregnant at the same time...ha ha.