Sunday, July 17, 2005

he's still got it


burton
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

This weekend I had the joy of seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on its opening night. One thing you have to understand up front: I'm a huge Tim Burton fan. I'm a fan of his style, but not so much any specific work he's done. Although, I do enjoy his movies.

Over the course of the last few years, Burton has churned out a few movies that are of interest. Big Fish is a good, in-depth and mature work by Tim Burton. Much of the playful humor is exchanged for a darker tone. Before that, there was Planet of the Apes. It was another summer "blockbuster" release. And, well, it wasn't Tim's best, let's be honest. In fact, it was awful. I only watched it one time. Then, the one before that, waaaay back in 1999, was Sleepy Hollow. A cool, atmospheric film, but not my favorite by a long stretch.

So, what was the deal? With so many classics I loved like Batman, Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, and Edward Scissorhands all being way back in the early nineties, were Tim Burton's best days behind him? I was beginning to think so. Big Fish, while good, and somewhat interesting, lead me to believe Burton was going in a more grown-up direction. Thus, leaving behind the childish joys of pure imaginative expression.

Alas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory changes all that. I know comparisons to the original movie are inevitable, but let's set that aside for a minute. In fact, the very theme of the movie is holding on to childhood imagination, and embracing family and creativity. Visually, it was incredible. Even as a Tim Burton fan who knows what to expect, this movie was still rich with unexpected surprises. Christopher Lee, one of my favorite actors, is fantastic. The Oompa Loompas are hilarious, and the songs they sing are brilliant. And who can forget; the accompanying Danny Elfman contributions.

A few scenes that stuck out to me are as follows:

1. There is an animatronic puppet show that Willy Wonka created. It catches on fire accidentally, and the puppets begin to burn and melt, obscuring their voices. It was deliciously Burton. Very poetic.

2. Tim Burton managed to wedge in a wonderful Halloween scene, with Christopher Lee at its center. I reveled in the joy of it.

3. Every song the Oompa Loompas sang was cryptically lyrical, and hilariously dark.

Though dark, the movie manages to be funny and charming. I loved this movie. A warning for all you moviegoers: you may not share in that love. Many reasons I love this movie are because of obscure personal preferences that others may not share. So, don't be angry with me if you're disappointed! But, if you've already seen the other summer blockbuster schlock, and you want to see something creative and unique, check it out. Don't take it too seriously, though. Just sit back and enjoy.



Charlie and the Chocolate Factory official site





1 comment:

Tim said...

I heartily agree with you on this one. The film was BRILLiant!! However, it definitely is not for everyone. I think that Johnny Depp's interpretation of Willy Wonka is delightful. Gene Wilder was good too, but just a different interpretation.

If you haven't seen it you must! Tim Burton is a genius!