Thursday, July 14, 2005

stand-up

I am scared, ladies and gentlemen. I'm scared to try stand-up comedy. But, I want to. It's just so scary. I could be a disaster. Plus, I only know one joke, and this is it:

Q: What kind of a drill does a dentist use on a dragon?
A: A fire drill.

How far am I going to get with that?

The only time I've done stand-up comedy was an impromptu episode in a Knoxville coffee house. They had an open mic night, and I took the opportunity to stand up there and muddle through some "stand-up". It was stuff I just made up on the spot. Kind of weird.

Nearly all my peers in my Groundlings classes were stand-up comedians. They're a strange breed of people. The times I went to see stand-up comedy in L.A. proved to be truly disturbing episodes. I've blogged on that subject before.

If you watch Pauly Shore's new series about The Comedy Store, that's where I saw stand-up. And met people that operated the place. A weird, weird breed, let me tell you. I'll never forget seeing Andrew Dice Clay...well:

You can read the whole story here. When you click on the link, just imagine blurry waves taking you into the past, like they used to do on Saved By the Bell when they did a flashback.

1 comment:

---- said...

hey - the dvds are about 2 bucks here... not sure if they work in america... but i could send you some.

ms