Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Tim Burton


I have been a Tim Burton fan for many years. Even before I pinpointed the director's work, I was a fan. It wasn't until I was thirteen or fourteen years old until I began to put the puzzle pieces together. I thought, "I love Batman. I love Edward Scissorhands. I love Beetlejuice. I love Pee Wee's Big Adventure. And now, I love The Nightmare Before Christmas. And, they were all directd by the same guy!" (Tim Burton turned directing duties over to Henry Selick on The Nightmare Before Christmas, but you get the idea.)

I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas when it first hit theatres. I remember being enchanted with the stop-motion animation visuals. At the time, the music was actually an added irritation. However, I have grown to love the music almost more than the film itself. To date, I feel it is the most distinct "Tim Burton" stylized film.

Also, one of my favorite films is Ed Wood. It amazes me that this has been so overlooked over the years. It's an oustanding cast, featuring Johnny Depp, Bill Murray, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Martin Landau. And who can forget the director/producer, Tim Burton?

This weekend, the latest Tim Burton "masterpiece" shall be unveiled! Corpse Bride has already opened in theatres in L.A. and New York. But, the world shall be exposed to this delight soon enough! The official web site is really breathtaking. Take a look here!

Early Prediction for Corpse Bride

the down side:
I have varied expectations for Corpse Bride. While I do know that I will love the style, look, and music, I think we're all familiar enough with Tim Burton's work to know what to expect. My fear is that the story itself may be a little flat.

the up side:
The trailer is breathtaking nonetheless. Burton still bursts with imaginative surprises. When you think he may take a familiar route, he spins it with enough originality to please the brain. Case in point, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Who can resist the mix of modern computer technology and the stop-motion animation of the old-skool? Not me!

Overall, I think Tim Burton will add enough original spice to Corpse Bride to make it a winner. By the same token, if he relies to heavily on old formulas, it may be too predictable and simply a rehash of his earlier work.

Click here for a cool Tim Burton web site.

Click here for the Official Corpse Bride web site.

Visit Corpse Bride here on rotten tomatoes to learn more about it!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I too have been a fan of Tim Burton for a long time, indeed, before I made the connection between Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands. My family and many of my friends have long been baffled (and at times disturbed) by my fascination with his work. But I have seldom been disappointed in my expectations for a Tim Burton film (with the exception of Mars Attacks; I hated that movie). I do worry that Corpse Bride will be a little too reminiscent of Nightmare Before Christmas, but I am sure it will be delightfully original in comparison with most non-Burton films. So, while I am hoping for an incredible new gothic creation (I mean this word in the way it applies to the great creepy American writers of the past, and not the modern connotation it has been given), I'm certain that even my lowest expectations (that it will be just like Nightmare) will be surpassed because Tim Burton is a genius!