Friday, September 23, 2005

smoothie heaven

Occassionally, I crave a good 'ol fashioned smoothie from Jamba Juice.

My love affair with smoothies dates back before I moved to California. I used to get them at this place called Smoothie King. They weren't bad, but at the time they had problems I didn't recognize. They were chalky, and overpriced. Smoothie King is the kind of place that's designed for muscle heads. (Imagine a Schwarzenegger-type with the I.Q. of Frankenstein walking in, "I gots to get smoothie after workout! RAAAGH!!") They have things like protein wafers and multi-vitamin cookies. These are things that do not occur in nature, so they weird me out.

Well, when I first got to L.A., I gave Jamba Juice a "whirl", if you will. To my surprise, their smoothies were cheaper, and the quality was better. Finally! I could get a strawberry-banana-cherry razzle dazzle with an extra shot of vitamins at an affordable price!

Some people got shots of wheatgrass "on the side", with their smoothies. Huh? "Shot of wheatgrass"? Since when did drinking grass become healthy? In Tennessee, I can walk out in a cow field after a light rain and get a shot of wheat grass. And, I save 3 dollars.

And, if you're not careful, your smoothie can quickly get expensive, even at Jamba Juice. With so many additives and "special features", you can tack on an extra two dollars. Of course, the up side is, you won't have to eat again for the rest of the day.

No comments: