Wednesday, September 14, 2005

walk the line


joaquin_phoenix1
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

Joaquin Phoenix plays Johnny Cash in the upcoming November film release of Walk the Line. I've seen the trailer, which you can download for free here at trailerdownload.net. I've also seen the trailer a time or two on the big screen.

I don't want to review a movie before I've even seen it, but I just have serious doubts about it. I mean, Jamie Foxx seemed so comfortable in the skin of Ray Charles in Ray. That performance felt truly inspired. I feel like Joaquin seems a bit uncertain and uncomfortable in the skin of the Man in Black. In some scenes, I think he looks more like Bruce Campbell than Johnny Cash. And, his "Johnny" singing? I don't know. I'm just not convinced. His voice seems thin and unsure. Maybe I'll feel different when I see the entire film in context. But, I just get a feeling about it being...well, not Ray. (the obvious comparison). As for writing and directing, we'll see when this bad boy hits theatres.

A correction from the other day: The David Spade show is on Comedy Central, not VH-1. I think I saw a commercial on VH-1, and it confused my delicate and convoluted mind.




Johnny Cash on allmusic.com.

Reviews, opinions, movie info, and predictions for Walk the Line at rottentomatoes.com

No comments: