Monday, February 28, 2005

I told you so!

Hmmm. I hate to say "I told you so", but...I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Last night I had the joy of watching the 77th Annual Academy Awards, and it was a special year for a few different reasons. First, after spending a year in Hollywood, I'm closer to that culture than ever before. This is also the first year when I ever predicted ALL the RIGHT acting awards! HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW??? Last year, I had Sean Penn and Tim Robbins pegged for their acting awards, but I wasn't sure about the actresses. This year, I got ALL the acting awards, and I had Clint Eastwood as Best Director. There was only one award of the entire night where I felt a sting of disappointment. It was the "Best Picture" award. I honestly hoped it was The Aviator's night. However, Million Dollar Baby was my second guess for winner. Who did I think DESERVED Best Picture? The Aviator, then Ray in second place, then Million Dollar Baby. What can I say? It's kind of subjective.

Since I guessed ALL the acting awards ,(Did I mention I got ALL of them right, plus BEST DIRECTOR??) Well, I DID! Since I got them right this year, I think that gives me a little credibility in that department. So, I've compiled a little list of some of my favorite performances. It's my own little "Oscar-worthy" list. Some of these performances were nominated or actually won, some didn't. But, they're all admirable and awesome in their own rights.


Martin Landau as Bela Legousi in the movie Ed Wood
Awesome.

Jack Lemmon as Shelley Levene in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross
Poor Shelley Levene is as shady as they come in the salesmen world. With his washed-up sales tactics, and final frayed hopes, he desperately tries to piece his life back together. So believable, so sad. So very brilliant.

Willem DaFoe as Max Schreck in the movie Shadow of the Vampire
A bold and unique performance. Willem DaFoe is one of my favorite actors, and this performance is one of his best. It showcases his creativity and attention to detail in his characters. I think he may actually be a vampire!

Richard Farnsworth as Alvin Straight in the movie The Straight Story
Great movie, one of my favorite performances of all time.

Johnny Depp in the movies Edward Scissorhands, Secret Window, Ed Wood, and Blow.
Yeah. He's platinum.

Halle Berry as Leticia Musgrove in the movie Monster's Ball
okay, I don't like the movie that much overall, but Halle....whoa.

Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale in the movie The Wizard of Oz
One of the greatest and most memorable characters, right? She was born to do it. And, the movie is one of the best ever made. So creative, so wonderful.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield in the movie Pulp Fiction
I am born anew in his genius. Is he even "acting"? Nope. He's doing what an actor is supposed to do. He's just "being" the character. A truly inspired performance.

And FINALLY....(drum roll)....

Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog in the movie The Lost Boys
Simply hilarious. I had to put a funny one on here. I love, love, love this movie, though.

That's it for today. Peace out. That is, of course, if anyone is actually reading this.

2 comments:

Adam said...

no relation to the frog.

Charlotte said...

i'm reading this!!