Thursday, February 10, 2005

homework

Sorry, folks, but this blog may require you to do some homework. If you're like me, you're done with school and you hate homework. However, this homework is fun. I was on imdb (international movie database) recently, and I started trying to compile a list of my favorite all-time movies. I love movies, so this was pretty much impossible. However, in the process, I was reminded of some old goodies that I would like to recommend to you. These are films that may be somewhat obscure, and maybe you missed them. Some you've probably seen some vague time in the past, but didn't pay much attention to. Well, I'd like to recommend these because they're interesting, somewhat overlooked, and because I love them so much.


Glengarry Glen Ross

What do you get when you cross playwright David Mamet with actors like Jack Lemon, Ed Harris, Al Pacino, Alen Arkin, Kevin Spacey, and Alec Baldwin? Great writing and wonderful acting. Those are the two elements that drew me to this movie. With an all-star cast like this, the movie pulls you in from the first minute.

The premise is, these washed up salesmen have to sell a certain amount of real estate in a certain amount of time, or they're fired. They work for the same floundering real estate company, and they're mostly past their prime. David Mamet has a good sense of these characters, so you really connect with them. I empathize with all of them and their individual state in life. You should check out this weird little movie with lots of drama, enthralling writing, and classic acting.

Ed Wood

Directed by Tim Burton, this is my favorite of his films. Starring Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Bill Murray, it also has an incredible cast. Martin Landau's performance as Bela Lagousi is one of my favorite all time performances in any movie. He won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Ed Wood. Johnny Depp is great, too.

This is based on the true story of horrible filmmaker Ed Wood. Ed Wood has a fan club, and was rated "Worst Director of All Time". The movie, of course, is hilarious as it recounts his problems with making his dream movies in the 50's. It has some really funny moments. I don't want to be too specific, because I don't want to ruin it, or something. You should check this movie out. They just released a Special Edition DVD with lots of great behind-the-scenes extras and whatnot.

P.S. - It's in black and white, but that makes it strangely better.

The Straight Story

David Lynch directed this wonderful movie, also based on a true story. This movie makes me cry just about every time. There's a certain life that Richard Farnsworth gives to his character, Alvin Straight. It's an ancient wisdom mixed with human frailty that gives this character so much depth. It's no wonder that Richard Farnsworth was nominated for best actor for an Academy Award. It's one of my favorite performances, and favorite characters of any movie.

When Alvin Straight's brother has to go to the hospital for serious health problems, Alvin wants to go visit him. There are a few problems with this: they haven't spoken in nearly ten years. A feud they had when they were younger has kept them apart. And, Alvin is too old to drive. So, what's the solution? He stubbornly resolves to get to his brother, hundreds of miles away, by driving a lawn mower. It's touching, and wrenching at times. It's a beautiful story, full of love.

Well, those are my recommendations for now. Write in, and let me know how they change your life. I may write some horror recommendations, even though I know there's no demand for it at all! Thanks for reading.



No comments: