Sunday, February 27, 2005

pop

I've had a fabulous weekend. Friday night didn't quite turn out how we planned it. I was going to visit my friends Tim and Jessie in a magical town called Jefferson City, Tennessee. We were going to go with Ashleigh and her boyfriend to a senior (singing) recital on our alma matter campus. Ashleigh was driving up from Atlanta, and the recital started at 7:30. I haven't quite done the math to figure out exactly how she expected to get here on time. Anyhoo, she was in a wreck, and didn't get to Jeff City until around 9:30. We ate (at a restaurant I was once fired from) then went back to Tim and Jessie's apartment for a few laughs and good times. We stayed the night, and ate pancakes the next morning. Their apartment is amazing because it's literally in a cow field.

With the Academy Awards mere hours away, I finally got to see Ray last night. It was playing in this low budget movie theater on the other side of town, for $1.50. I was invited to a party celebrating the life of Hunter S. Thompson, but I wanted to experience Ray before the Oscar ceremony. It is truly incredible. It's gritty, dramatic, colorful, inspiring, and brilliant. It solidified my prediction that Jamie Foxx deserves, and will probably win Best Actor. Ray is a terrific film about art, fighting for your life, and struggling to make your way in this world. If you haven't seen it, you must.

Just to recap my Oscar predictions/hopes: Jamie Foxx for Best Actor, Hillary Swank for Best Actress, Cate Blanchett for Best Supporting Actress, Morgan Freeman for Best Suporting Actor, Clint Eastwood for Best Director, and The Aviator for Best Picture. These are all really just predictions. I have no clue who is actually going to win any of these.

With the Michael Jackson trial almost under way, the circus has already started. Fans waiting outside the courthouse for Jackson's arrival, trips to the hospital for the "flu", and bizarre celebrity testimonies. I have to admit, I'm a fan of Michael's music. I want him to be innocent, but I know deep down he's probably guilty. [insert Michael Jackson joke here]

Speaking of pop stars, I'm totally addicted to American Idol. This has been the most dramatic and most dynamic of the three prior seasons. As the competition has reached the final 22, the talent is unbelievable. Almost any of these people could have won the first American Idol. They've also made an interesting choice to allow two "rocker guys" into the final rounds. Interesting competition. My favorites are Carrie Underwood and Nikko Smith. But, we have about a month or so before we begin to see who might win.

I went to a temp agency the other day. This is the first time I've really pursued a non-acting related job in a long, long time. It's a strange feeling to be back among the "civilian sector" of society. I'm hoping God is leading me down this path, and will ultimately lead me back to my art. Sometimes He gives us a vision, but we don't quite know exactly how to get there.

That's my pop culture update for today. If you have any opinions or comments, please feel free to let me (and everyone else) know! Peace out.

2 comments:

sunflowerb said...

Evan! How the heck are you?! I have a blog on this site as well... you should check me out.. i'm not very good at keeping up to-date, but check in! it's good to know you are alive!!

Heather B.

Charlotte said...

It's weird to look for jobs outside of what you think you've been trying/wanting to do. God's gonna you whatever you've got to get what He wants--this includes theatrics, humor, and shamelessly good looks. Peace OUT!