Monday, February 14, 2005

Clint Eastwood

Last year, I saw Mystic River. If you're not familiar with it, it's a suspense/mystery directed by Clint Eastwood. Sean Penn won an Oscar for best Actor, and Tim Robbins won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Both awards I totally agree with. I walked out of the theatre that cold rainy LA night almost numb with what I had just experienced. It's an incredible film. I was truly awed by Clint Eastwood's craftsmanship and artistry. Mystic River was also nominated for Best Picture, which I knew it wouldn't win. Not with Lord of the Rings in the running, anyway.


This year, Clint Eastwood directed, partly produced, and...,get this; he actually composed the music for a film called Million Dollar Baby. I saw this with some friends a few nights ago. There are similarities in the look and style between Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River. Clint Eastwood is the lead actor in Million Dollar Baby. Once again, his performance awed me with his talent. As a director, Clint Eastwood is emotional and reflective. Million Dollar Baby uses shading and darkness in interesting ways. It really pulls you into the story. Just like Hillary Swank's character in the film, Million Dollar Baby itself is a contender to be the champion. However, I think Ray will snuff it out. I would also guess that Jamie Foxx will win Best Actor for Ray before Clint Eastwood wins Best Actor for Million Dollar Baby. Foxx probably deserves it.


I would also like to say a word about Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby. I have a special feeling about Alan Alda, but Morgan Freeman may also win Best Supporting Actor. It will be one of the two, hopefully. I love Morgan Freeman, and he is such a compelling actor. He's been nominated a handful of times before, but I really hope this is his year. Click here to check it out.


Hillary Swank is also my favorite contender for Best Actress for Million Dollar Baby.


All that being said, I also want to clarify that any Academy Award acknowledgement is subjective to a degree. It does mean a lot, but it's not everything. Even if Morgan Freeman doesn't win an Oscar, his performance is still incredible. Clint Eastwood is still a brilliant and crafty director with or without a little statue. Million Dollar Baby isn't perfect, but it's still a great film. Clint Eastwood has integrity as a director that I really admire.

No comments: