Saturday, November 12, 2005

southern cuisine

Living in the south certainly has its ups and downs. There are things to love and things to loathe, like any place. One of the biggest down sides of living in the region I live in is that it is fairly boring most of the time. I have great friends and family, but staring at empty cow fields takes a toll after a while.

One of the greatest things about living in the south is the quality of food. Southern cuisine is unapologetically decadent, and sometimes over-the-top. Much southern food is also really good for you. The south has certainly come along way with technology in the last twenty years ago, what with our e-lectricity and shoes and whatnot. With cell phones and the internet, it's truly turning into a global community.

Today I was reminded of my southern roots. My parents recently joined a little Baptist church in the small town of Athens, TN. The people there are wonderful. However, they are certainly extremely southern. My parents told me the story of their experiences in their sunday school class. Before the "class" started, the members of the class sat around and "chewed the fat" for a few minutes. One older woman was telling everyone how beautiful her new shotgun was. She was telling them all about the pearl handle. No, really.

My mother also recently got a church cookbook. If you're not familiar, most churches in the south have cookbooks filled with recipes submitted from women in the church. My mom was quite impressed with the East Athens Baptist Church cookbook, until running across one entry of particular interest.

Now, I know some of you faithful blog readers are not as familiar with the south. And, in fact, you've probably already cracked up at this blog entry at some of the absurdities described in small town life. Indeed, it is a de-light. However, this one takes the cake. For you see, there is an entry in this cookbook for Baked Possum. That's the point where I may lose some of you. But, trust me, it's real. This is NOT A JOKE. It is in this cookbook, submitted by a man named Jerome.

Baked Possum
Catch a live possum. Put it in a pen for 7 days. Feed it cornmeal dough and fresh water. Kill, skin, and dress it. Wash thoroughly. Place in a roaster pan, sald and pepper thorougly inside and out. Place 7 or 8 medium-sized clean sweet potatoes around meat. Cover with roaster lid or aluminum foil, bake in oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until done.


Wow. Most times, I'm proud to be from Tennessee. There is a rich history here. And, the roots of American pop culture in Tennessee are amazing. There is also a lot of beautiful scenery and wonderful natural landmarks. However, when I read about baked possum, it puts things back into perspective for me!!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

LOLOLOLOL....I remember right before I started CNC, TN enacted a law that made it legal to take road kill off of the highway home to do with what you pleased...I thought that was weird, until I met some of the people like Jerome.

Adam said...

niiiice. remember stokely's "shepherd's pie?" what the heck was in that thing anyway!?

Charlotte said...

but adam, what about the turkey tetrazzini?

and evan, do you remember Jamie Carr's road kill picture? she had that thing up my freshman year and I had to look at it every day. yummy.