Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Alf

Some of you may remember the obscure 80's hit comedy, ALF. (ALF stands for "Alien Life Form".) I rented one of the discs of the second season, because it had the ALF Christmas Special on it. I watched it at home one morning, before I had to go to work.

Admittedly, the only reason I wanted to rent ALF was for the cheesey humor. I mean, the acting is hilariously cheesey, and some of the one-liners about eating cats, and ALF's home world Melmac are unbelievably bad. However, when I watched the Christmas Special, ladies and gentlemen, I actually cried. It was one of the most tender and heartfelt Christmas specials I've ever seen in my life.

ALF goes up to a cabin with his adopted family to spend Christmas in a cabin that Willy (the family's low budget Dad) stayed in when he was a child. ALF starts trouble when he opens all the gifts, ruins the food, and complains nonstop. Willy gets enraged and yells at ALF, telling him to leave the cabin to "take a long walk." ALF climbs into the back of a delivery truck, and ends up in a pile of toys. These toys were being delivered to needy children in a hospital. ALF gets handed out as a stuffed animal to a young girl with a terminal disease. She is a kind-hearted young girl, who discovers that ALF is a real, living creature. ALF is moved by her story, and connects with her feelings of fear and loneliness.

Later, ALF stops an elderly man from jumping off a bridge. The man's wife has died, and he does not want to continue in this cold uncaring world alone. ALF gently explains that he makes a difference in the world, and that he needs to stick around to continue his mission of helping people.

One of the reasons I love going back and watching obscure pop culture gems from the 80's is because every so often you uncover a treasure of value. I hope your Christmas season this December is filled with true giving. Remember those who have less, and who are genuinely needy. Don't turn your back on those who ask for help. As a cheesey 80's puppet has reminded me, Christmas is about love and giving, which is more blessed than receiving.

4 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

I've never seen Alf. :(

Courtney said...

I have not thought about Alf in years, probably since like 1990. But now that you talk about it, I vividly remember that Christmas special. Good times.

Nicole said...

I loved Alf as a child (and actually do have a stuffed one still at my home in Newport), but I don't remember that special... now I want to see it though. Who knew that Alf ever saw so many tragic things, especially in one night!

Charlotte said...

I really loved Alf. My brothers each had a set of ALF sheets on their beds. No lie.