Friday, June 03, 2005

NoHo Diner

As you may or may not know, I left California in misery. I felt that my adventures there ended on a high note with a fantastic two day excursion to fabulous Las Vegas! (another blog for another time) But, with all the reasons for moving back to the lovely southeast, I am beginning to miss things about California.

One such thing would be a fantastic little diner a couple of minutes from my apartment called the NoHo Diner. (North Hollywood Diner.) This place had a lot of character. The waitresses were women who were mostly close to the "senior" phase of their lives, if you get my drift. The setting of this diner had a lot of character, and a lot of regulars. I went there, on average, at least once per week. And, every time I would order the burger and fries. It was one of the best burgers I've ever had.

My friend Travis introduced me to this eighth wonder of the world. He was a big fan. He always got the #12, one waffle, bacon, and orange juice. It was the real deal.

This diner was an intrical part of my social life in L.A. Travis took me there one of the first days I was in Hollywood. My friends and I would frequently meet there, since it was open 24 hours per day. It was a weird solace area where we could absorb the strangeness of the environment, have a quality cup of coffee, and have a center of reference for our social meetings.

I've met some interesting people in the diner. A homeless man, a couple of transvestites, and the guy who played Chekov in the original Star Trek. I used to sit out in the outside seating area, that was sort of outside, but it had a roof over it. I loved the fresh air breeze, and the frequent blaring car alarms. Such a strange thing to miss, but there was just nothing like it.

1 comment:

sunflowerb said...

If you ever want to go back to L.A. to visit, take me! Do you ever think about your experiences and then pinch yourself just to make sure it was real?
Heather