Wednesday, June 08, 2005

make a difference


Brad Pitt in Africa
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

proverbs 22:9
A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.

I have a desire. The desire is to talk about my deep impressions of seeing poverty, sickness, and starvation in Africa without sounding preachy. After seeing the special on television tonight, I have a deep compassion for the poor people in Africa.

It is encouraging to see platinum celebrities such as Bono and Brad Pitt genuinely reaching out for such a worthy endeavor. Hopefully their celebrity status will get attention to the problems of starvation and poverty in Africa, and prompt people to do something about it.

My friend Les has sponsored and African child for a small fee every month. I was always curious about it. Now, after seeing the film Hotel Rwanda, hearing about the genocide in Darfur, and seeing Brad Pitt's passion for Africa, I have made a concious decision. When I have the means, I want to give money to African aid, and sponsor a child. It's a staggeringly small amount of money that can change someone's life. Click here to find out more about the effort.

2 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

This has been a passion of mine for a long time. Together we can pray for the efforts in Africa. They need it.

sunflowerb said...

Thanks for your sincerity! i've been to Africa and seen those kids...heartbreaking and beautiful. Yet, it's so easy to get caught up in my own life and forget about those who are starving and dying of disease. And, not just in Africa, but here in my own town too. Thanks for the humbling reminder.
Heather