Monday, June 13, 2005

INNOCENT: my initial reaction


michael jackson trial
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.
I can't believe it. Micheal Jackson has been found NOT GUILTY on all 10 charges against him. That includes, giving intoxication agents to a minor with the intent to commit a felony, and conspiracy.

As I was watching the trial, I had several initial reactions. First, I found the crowd outside the courtroom hilarious! A middle aged white woman was releasing doves. They had to put one person on a stretcher and haul them away in an ambulance. There was cheering, and it was crazy. I was laughing out loud.

I was also shocked by the verdict itself. I expected Michael to be found guilty on at least one count. Even if it was a minor offense, it seemd like too much smoke for no fire. But, no. Innocent on all ten counts.

I also felt sad when I saw how somber Michael was as he walked out of the courtroom. Or, I should say, groggily shuffled out. They said on the news that if there was an outburst in the courtroom when the verdict was read, then there would be consequences. So, maybe The Gloved One was down playing his emotions. Weird, weird, weird.

My hope is that Michael is truly innocent. I feel odd about the verdict. On one hand, I celebrate it, as a fan. The cynical side of me, however, feels suspicious that this could be another...dare I even type this name...OJ Simpson situation. We'll see. We'll see what happens as the next bizarre chapters in Michael's saga unfold.

No comments: