Saturday, May 28, 2005

simply astounding


E.T. is going home
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.
When Universal and NBC merged, every employee got a gift package. It included highlights from NBC, as well as Universal. The E.T. The Extra Terrestrial DVD was included as the Universal contribution. Here is the official E.T. web page.

I must say, E.T. is still one of my favorite movies of all time. If you haven't seen it in a while, it's worth another look. Most films I watched when I was a kid are just unbearable now. But, this one stands the test of time.

To me, this is a beautiful story about true love. It is an homage to the beauty and mystery of science. It is also about friendship, and unconditional love. Even if other people misunderstand, or stand in judgement. It is a moving film. The music is fantastic. And, watching it now, it transports me back to my childhood in a nostalgic bliss. However, it's not too syrupy sweet. It is a strange and wonderful tale of the possibilities of the unknown, and the bonds of family in tragic times.

In my 26 year journey, I have met some interesting people. I have had conflict and pain, jealousy and misunderstanding. There have been fights, abuses, wrongdoings, and unforgiveness. I have experienced failure and disappointments.

But, I have also had the privelage of meeting people from all walks of life. Strange people, driven people. Creative, misunderstood, beautiful people. Business people, professors, street prophets, celebrities, and rejected members of society trying to survive. I have been in the middle of a pilgrimage that has brought me through fires, valleys, and fears. Yet, I continue to endure and preservere. I am thankful for all I have been given. Because, faithful reader, we earn nothing. Earning is an illusion. We are privelaged with gifts of life and love. We don't deserve them. I don't know about tomorrow, but I am thankful for what I have today. Right now. This moment is the only moment that has or ever will exist.

And, I also really enjoy watching Top Gun. That's another classic 80's movie.

1 comment:

Tim said...

E.T. was the first movie I ever watched in the theater. My mom took me to see it. It was magical then, and it is magical now. Even today, when I watch it, at the part when the bike takes off and Elliott is screaming "HA HA!" and John Williams' brilliant score hits the peak, I still get chill bumps. It's like looking up into the face of God and seeing him smile down upon you saying "You are my most WONDEROUS CREATION!"