Saturday, May 07, 2005

An L.A. Daydream



I spend my days here in East Tennessee trying to balance a social life, a career search, and a family identity. Things sure have changed since the 'ol days of Los Angeles survival. I find my daydreams more and more frequently drifting to my times in L.A. Obscure memories are coming to the surface that tend to be forced to the back of my conscience. Most of them are about Universal Studios, since that's probably where I spent the most hours. However, so many other good and weird things happened.

Probably the second or third day I was in Studio City, my roommate Doug drove me down to his management office, called CA Talent. They weren't really "agents", so to speak. But, they basically were. They represented a great deal of people, and sent headshots and resumes out to various casting calls. Different casting directors would fax or email them little blurbs, describing what they needed, then CA Talent would send in the people right for the job. Then, if the casting directors for whatever shows liked some headshot CA Talent sent them, that actor would get called in for an audition.

Doug parked on the street, and we walked up to the gate and buzzed in. It was a little one story place, nice and clean. Very California style. Doug introduced me to a beautiful "young" woman, (don't remember her name), and she stretched a smile over her botox face. California actors are energetic, upbeat, and...unique. I loved it on one hand, but it could also be creepy.

I actually got to help them for an hour or so, reading blurbs, then sifting through files and files of headshots to find people who matched the descriptions. "casting call for: JAG We need a middle aged white man who's willing to shave his head to look military. SAG preferable. Must be staunch, very tough, and no taller than 5'8". Grizzly voice is better." Um...okay.

Then, a guy came in the office, an actor named Stan. I began talking to him about comedy and whatnot, and he had done some extra work on CSI and whatnot. It turns out that he's from Atlanta, and he had played Carson-Newman College in basketball. (Carson-Newman is my alma mater) Small world, huh?

No comments: