Thursday, May 26, 2005

She did it!


carrie underwood
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.
I was scammed. The reality TV machine sucked me into its entertaining web of deceit. I knew months ago that Carrie was going to win American Idol. The judges pushed for it, she was never in the bottom three, and everyone knew.

In the last two or three weeks, however, I began to have my doubts. Say what you will about American Idol, but there was a lot of talent in the top ten. As the competition intensified with each eliminated contestant, Bo Bice somehow rose to the top. I already knew that Carrie was going to win. Why did I believe the hype? The producers and promoters hype it up on purpose to add drama and raise the stakes of the show. So, in the finale last night, I was actually shocked when Carrie Underwood won. I was a clod who got caught up in the hype. But, I knew she would win! Why was I surprised?

It was still a fairly entertaining show. Lynard Skynard performed with Bo, which was the highlight. There was a moderately humerous, if not watered down, sketch where the judges Paula, Randy and Simon made fun of the allegations against Paula Abdul. I thought the Aerosmith number that Constantine, Jessica, and Nadia did was a terrible bomb. And, Kenny G is still crappy. I don't care what anyone says.

I'm going to buy Carrie's album when it comes out. I also want to go see a concert of the top ten finalists. Overall, I admit: I was entertained by the giant reality machine last night. Sue me.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I too was rooting for Carrie and was pleasantly satisfied when she won. I'll buy that dump when it comes out. I was also mindlessly entertained by the drawn out two hour finale, although the whole skit thing seemed like an end of camp video at best, put together by a group of enthusiastic counselors. Bo and Lynard Skynard were cool. Constantine really let me down.

Joie Mayfield said...

OKay...I was absolutely thrilled when Carrie sang with Rascal Flatts. They are one of my favorite groups! WHOO. I screamed when Carrie won! I loved her.