Thursday, May 19, 2005

Dear Corporate World

Yesterday I had a job interview in neighboring metropolis, Nashville, Tennessee. It's with a carrot company that makes various fruit and vegetable drinks, all natural. I have been in talks with these people for three months now. There's a good chance a job may come of this, eventually.

The interview yesterday was the first time I've met anyone from this company face to face. Daunting? You betcha. I was already self-conscious enough after four grueling phone interviews with various strangers. Was I interviewing for four different jobs? What's going on here? How excited can I make myself sound about being a go-getter after the 11th question? After all that, it was finally time to face the piper.

The first 4 HOURS driving to Nashville with no A/C wasn't so bad. Then, literally just as I got into Nasvhille limits, my engine began to overheat. I mean, overheat. The gauge red-lined, there was a bit of smoke. Already nervous about not knowing my way around Nashville, and meeting people that could potentially change the course of the rest of my life, my jitters were promoted to full-blown panic. Not fun. I pulled over, and luckily there was a body shop guy nearby.

[insert southern accent] "Yeah, it looks like you ain't gonna get all the way back t'Knoxville on that."

Well, awesome. Twenty minutes until my interview. My car was overheated, I was somehwere in downtown Nashville far from the Starbucks, and I had no idea how to get there from where I was. Great times.

I called the woman I was supposed to interview with, and she seemed very understanding. My car came limping into the parking lot twenty minutes late for the interview. I had car coolant all over my hands, I was sweating, and totally out of it. "Hey, I'd be a great asset to your company. I'm a REAL PEOPLE PERSON!!! DID I MENTION I LOVE PEOPLE?!? GEEZ, I FREAKIN' LIVE FOR OTHER PEOPLE!! DID I MENTION THAT?!?" (Then I break down into tears.)

"Thank you, Evan. We'll call you."

Okay, so it didn't go that rough. But, another strike out was that she expected me to have this powerpoint presentation ready. Um, I had no idea. I'm sure I've got this job in the bag.


Dear corporate world,

I'm not a robot. I'm doing the best I can, but I can't be perfect. YES, I made mistakes in college. YES, I moved to California in pursuit of a dream. YES, I want to sell carrots! NOW, HIRE ME!!!

Most Sincerely,
Evan

2 comments:

Tim said...

Man, of all the crappy luck in the world. At least you made it. One thing I've learned about the corporate world, is that if you have an interview at the company, and the people don't hire you because your car breaks down on the way there, then that's not a company you want to work for, because you'll have to put up with that kind of crap every day if you did work for them. There are better companies out there.

But maybe you'll get this job anyway.

Adam said...

man, that's just depressing... still praying for you...