Thursday, April 07, 2005

a second chance

A few weeks ago, I saw a film called "Sideways" and wrote a review of it, of sorts, on this site. I was quite harsh on it, calling it "mediocre schlock", stating that these characters were broken and empty. And, this is exactly the kind of trash Hollywood loves to shower with critical praise. (As if "Hollywood" is a person.) Well, I have to say, I saw this film again a couple of nights ago, and my opinion has shifted. Maybe I was too hard on it.

Upon a second viewing, I realize that the characters are endearing. They are broken. But, that's how real people are. The second time around, I didn't take the characters so seriously. That was my mistake the first time. I think I took the characters too seriously because the acting is so good. And, the writing is good. But, if you remember that it's all for play-pretend, it's not so offensive. And, it's hilarious in places. I laughed out loud multiple times. In fact, I bought it on DVD. I've never flip-flopped on a film like this. But, the packaging is beautiful and the extra features are great. Check it out, but remember: Don't take it too seriously.

No comments: