Tuesday, April 26, 2005

whacky world of extras

Getting your foot in the door in Hollywood is no easy task. There is also no exact formula for getting into the industry. There are many books and guides from “successful” people who give meaningful advice. One of the many methods of getting in the biz is by enlisting into the whacky world of extras. This means you can be in the background of television shows, feature films, and even music videos. And, entering this world is as simple as going to your local Hollywood extras casting center. You stand in line (on tuesday or thursday morning) with hundreds of other wannabe actors, fill out the paperwork, and get your photo taken in a DMV-style booth. Then, you’re in the system. There is a number you call daily to see what type of extras are needed for whatever projects. If you fit the description they’re looking for, you can call the number they give you and book a gig. Usually these gigs are one day, but can be three, or five days on average.

That’s where my old chum Benj enters the picture. He moved to Hollywood from Washington, and he took the extras universe by storm. American Dreams, Summerland,a
random Bruce Campbell Disney film, and several others. He has been on set with David Spade, Carmen Elektra, the mom from Full House, and many other lovely celebrities.

There is also quite a strange sub-culture of extras. These people tend to be cynical, and somewhat odd. My friend Benj actually encountered a group of motorcyclists who go to extra gigs as a group. (A group of motorcycling extras? Who knew?!?) Benj is my hero.

Unfortunately, I never booked anything through extras casting. I just didn’t have the drive. I tried to be a zombie in a low budget zombie film, but it didn’t work out. I had brushes with greatness, but I sadly never graced the big screen with my blurry obscured background face. I congratulate my friend Benj for his success.

If you want to see what I look like, just click here. Then, you can rate me a 10!

1 comment:

Adam said...

that hot-or-not thing is hysterical, yet sad.