Friday, April 15, 2005

a real thriller


michael jackson peace
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

I would like to begin this blog on a serious note. As many of you are aware, there is a terrible genocide happening in Darfur, Africa. If you want to learn more, click here to visit the official web site. They explain it in more detail and show how you can help. I encourage a financial donation. In the ultimate scheme of things, what's ten dollars? It could greatly impact the world for good.

Last night, I was dining in the classy Pizza Inn establishment in Jefferson City, Tennessee. My friend Joe and I were discussing the Micheal Jackson trial. Our friendly local waitress brought us some refills, and impulsively, I asked her, "Ma'am, do you think Michael Jackson is a robot?"

She huffed, and with mild disdain, replied "The fact that you even mentioned his name ruined my night." She was only half-joking, I imagine.

And, kids, I've fought this blog for a long time. I didn't want to mention Michael Jackson on my blog. However, I can't fight the forces anymore. Almost everyone I've spoken with has an opinion of the current molestation trial. Most people I've asked assume he's guilty. I would love to know how my blog readers feel about this trial, the media's behavior, and your feelings on Michael himself.

You see, I'm torn. I remember, as a kid, watching the "Bad" video on MTV. I'm all too familiar with the Thriller album and video. I like all his videos, in fact. I think Moonwalker is, on different levels, an astounding and creative artistic achievement. So, as someone who has appreciated Michael's music, dance moves, short films (or videos, or whatever you want to call them), I feel that I have a personal investment in what's happening with this Jackson trial. I suspect many people feel the same.

I want him to be innocent, but I have a deep disturbing feeling that there's too much circumstantial evidence for him to be totally clean. Even if he's found innocent in this trial, his bizarre image is mauled even more, permanently. At least, in my eyes. Please, feel free to comment your opinions. Be open and honest, because even admitting my admiration for MJ makes me feel awkward. Is there any separation anymore between his "art" and his public image?



Here is an exciting web site that follows the Jackson trial day by day. Thanks, E! Entertainment!

2 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

He is so guilty.

Joie Mayfield said...

By the way...thanks for mentioning SaveDarfur.Org! It's very important.