Saturday, April 23, 2005

art philosophy? I love ted danson

The artist is a receptacle for the emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web. - Pablo Picasso

Some gaze at an obscure piece of modern art, and proclaim, "BRILLIANT!" There is legitimate passion in their appreciation. Not that I can even judge that. However, I observe their passion as an outsider. Don't get me wrong, I love art. But, many people instantly become disinterested upon the very mention of the word "art". However, I think that's an injustice to the word.

Art is anything that holds within it value of beauty or reflections of true feeling. It can be anything, really. But, you can see some things that claim to be art, but are undoubtedly not art. I can't define it, and any attempt to encapsulate that truth into a Webster's definition is a waste of time. I can only verbally hint at what I think of as art.

Just as one may observe an obscure sculptor in a stuffy museum and observe true art, there are other legitimate forms. A twelve year old watching Army of Darkness on a home theatre system can be equally engaged in an artistic endeavor, though motivated differently. I agree with C.S. Lewis that if art loses a certain pop culture appeal, then it has lost a certain sencerity.

All I know is what inpsires me. And, the things that inspire me are weird. I can't explain it. I try to rationalize, articulate, and justify it. But, I can't. I think Vincent Van Gogh was a brilliant artist. I think Mart Twain was a brilliant artist. I even love Russian novels, for crying out loud. But what I can't explain is that I think the latest Freaky Friday starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan is true art. The writing, the acting, the set design, the acting. I can't explain it. I don't think that all films are necessarily art, but that one is. I think some films actually qualify as poetry. They have a certain rhythm, and tone. They unfold and develop like John Keats, or something.

Check out Mark Ryden, for some interesting art philosophy.

Read some John Stuart Mill.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Art can be anything that inspires a response, anything that moves us, or attempts to express life in an original way. If Freaky Friday and Ted Danson inspire a response in you, feel free to revel in their artistic qualities!