Wednesday, April 20, 2005

career quest

East Tennessee is kind of hot and humid today. I'm kind of hungry. I haven't eaten much today. Breakfast was a few bites of "original" flavor cream of wheat. Lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich and a few sips of tomato soup. Why soup on a hot day? I felt like it was pleasing to the stomach.

I have been searching for a full time job for almost two months now. The search is arduous, and so far unrewarding, and disappointing. No one told me that looking for a job was so strange or demanding. It's sort of like having a job, only you don't get paid and there is no reward, as of yet.

Job searching on the internet is interesting. It's a series of sorting through jobs that I don't want, I'm not qualified for, or they're too far away. I'm getting to the point of desperation where I am actually considering following up on a job lead in Jacksonville, Florida. Could there be a more deplorable place in the country to live? (Well, ok, Ohio.)

I have even begun applying at various Blockbusters in the area, in the attempt to do something different and begin getting a paycheck. Oh, man, this is no fun. However, free rentals would be nice.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Blockbuster is corrupt! But you do get 5 free rentals a week, and you get paid to do a really easy job. It might be a good filler position for the time being. Don't give up! You are not alone in your job searching woes.

Kelli said...

Hang in there, Evan. It took me 6 months to find my current job. Ok, I found it shortly after I moved here...it took them 6 months to decide to hire me. You are talented, smart, and have charisma...you will find a great job...could be Jefferson City that's the problem...unless you want to shovel manure or make milkshakes. But something will come...have faith.

Charlotte said...

You're way too talented and intelligent to get stuck in one place for too long. You gotta believe that or else no one else will. I agree with ms. capaldi and will add to it: pray for God to show you where, he can use you and your greatest gifts to fill His biggest need, in terms of your profession or otherwise.

Hmm. I shoudl take my own advice.

Joie Mayfield said...

I work in Jefferson City, and I don't shove manure or make milkshakes. Evan, finding a job will happen. :)

Kelli said...

I didn't mean to insult my beloved Jefferson City or those who reside and/or work there. I was simply suggesting that the lack of employment is often caused by the lack of employment possibilities...especially if one's preferred field doesn't abound in one's residential area.
Sorry if I offended Joe or anyone else :)