Sunday, March 06, 2005

mediocre schlock

I can now say (somewhat proudly) that I have seen all the Oscar nominated films for Best Picture. All the ones I had seen were teriffic. There were only two on the list that I probably would not have seen without Oscar exposure. Million Dollar Baby I might have seen, but I'm not sure. The one film I definitely would not have seen, or probably even heard of, is Sideways. It looked like a really interesting film based on all the buzz. And, the fact that it was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Picture, really sparked my interest. So, yesterday I went a little out of my way to take a chance on a film I would not have seen otherwise. My reaction was clear.
In the past few years, there have been a few controversial picks for Best Picture, like Gladiator and Erin Brokovich. Some of these movies just don't seem to have what it takes to actually be Best Picture. And, of course, some films that should get acknowledgement are overlooked.

Sideways is terrible. I guess Thomas Haden Church's performance is worthy, or whatever, but I don't fully understand the Oscar love. I think it's simply Hollywood trying to make a point by proving that they have a keen eye for indie films, or something. To me, this is a dark film about broken empty lives sinking even deeper into disaster and loss. It has the kind of bleak outlook on life that many critically acclaimed indies have. It's a gritty "realistic" style that appeals to Hollywood types. However, the nomination of this film is just proof that Hollywood has a cynical artsy perspective of life. I felt so drained when I walked out of the theater, I wanted to purify myself of such a sad experience. So, I drank RC cola and listened to Michael Jackson. Hey, it doesn't work for everyone, but it did wonders for me.
I mean, I can understand the acting acknowledgements. I really can appreciate it. But, the writing didn't seem that great, and Best Picture? Um, no. And I know what you're thinking at this point: "Evan, you're obsessed with this Oscar thing. What's the big deal?" My answer, is, I dunno. I think it's just that the Oscars sort of objectify what Hollywood stands for. These are the films, and the people, that Hollywood chooses to bestow importance upon. But, not everyone in Hollywood agrees with the Oscars. And, the American public certainly doesn't. That's why movies like Dude Where's My Car, and Old School get made. Not that these are bad, or that Oscar films are wholly superior. I just think the Oscars are, or should be, somewhat of a reflection of American pop culture. What do we value? What do we say is important? One thing The Passion of the Christ taught me is that many good and valuable films transcend the importance of having awards. And, I learned the same lesson when a yuppie nightmare film like Sideways was so highly praised.
All the other Best Picture nominations were great, even though Million Dollar Baby was bleak, too. It didn't seem as dreary as Sideways, though. Anyway, all the other ones are great. So, I don't know why Sideways is so bad. But, this is probably all I'll have to say about the Oscars this year. I'm done. I can return to regularly scheduled programming after this.

No comments: