Monday, February 27, 2006

Oscar schlock 2006

There's less than one week until the Academy Awards airs this sunday. Certainly, I will be watching the ceremony. But, it seems like an off year for the Oscars. It feels like the Academy is off base this year. Not only that, but 2005 was a fairly weak year for movies.

I've done a fair amount of complaining about this in the last month, since the nominations were announced. Since that time, I'm not quite as cynical about the Academy's intentions. But, the outlook is still not that great. Let me explain what I mean.

What message, exactly, is the Academy trying to send by nominating Brokeback Mountain for 8 awards? This is a movie that they're obviously trying to promote by lavishing it with praise and attention. I have no doubt that this movie is probably artistically high quality. But, it's an obvious ploy by the Academy to boost ticket sales and push propoganda. Politically, it's the same with George Clooney and Good Night and Good Luck. And, Woody Allen's nomination for Matchpoint. Allen has been an "Academy darling" for many many years. So, anything he touches turns to gold. It's all political. This is the most highly political Oscar year in recent memory. And as a result, it's mediocre.

But enough of my political griping. Among the heap of schlock, there are a couple of gems. I'm vaguely interested in The Squid and the Whale. Regrettably, I missed it when it was playing here in the Knoxville region. I am also fascinated by Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance in Capote. (Another one I missed.) These nominated films are half-interesting.

Now, my predictions:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Best Actor He will win. By a landslide.

Reece Witherspoon - Best Actress She will probably win. (she did her own singing, alright?)

I don't care about the supporting actor/actress awards.

Brokeback Mountain - I predict it to win Best Picture.

I'm not so certain about any of the others, so I'm afraid to make guesses. I will be watching, and noting political statements that come from the ceremony. Expect a politically charged show this year!

1 comment:

Joie Mayfield said...

About Brokeback Mountain, it's actually a great movie. I saw it and it was very moving. I think it would be worthy of being called "Best Picture." I feel like Crash is a better movie, but it's not as awarded thus far, losing press coverage.

I agree that Reese Witherspoon will recieve Best Actress, and I am going to agree with you about Philip Seymour Hoffman. I haven't seen Capote, but I've heard he was amazing in it.

As for Supporting Actor/Actress...i think it will be George Clooney or Jake Gyllenhall, and definately Rachel Weiz.

Adapted Screenplay - Brokeback Mountain

Original Screenplay - Crash

Director - Ang Lee

Just my thoughts.