Saturday, February 11, 2006

2000's continued

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my "I love 2000's" blog entry. It seems to be a subject that strikes a chord with people, because I've gotten quite a wide response. And, that has provided for a lot of good and interesting conversation. It's probably the most response I've ever gotten from one other singular entry.

Here's an exerpt from an e-mail a friend of mine, Matthew, sent me on the subject. I thought it was blog-worthy, and could be added as a comment:

"...One thing that's happening right now is indie music going mainstream. These bands have music that seems so tangible, because it sounds like anyone can jump in their garage and do it. As appealing as that is for some people, it also may be its downfall. We need music that is created by musical geniuses so we don't get bored. Don't get me wrong. I'm digging a lot of new music that's out there, there just seems to be so much to sift through..."

I wish I could be as insightful about our present decade as some of my friends.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this decade is barely half over. So, the next few years could bring any kind of change in pop culture. We may encounter the next George Lucas, or new Michael Jackson (you know, early 80's Michael Jackson!!!) that may usher in a new pop culture era. I'm sitll optimistic that our music can improve.

I also thought of some new distinctly 2000's trends:

1. Some of you have already mentioned reality TV. More specifically, I think American Idol and Survivor will be distinctly 2000's.

2.I think automotive Satellite directonal systems (GPS) will become more previlant, and we'll wonder how we lived without it. Already, car DVD players are more and more common.

3. I-Pods are definitely a 2000's trend that we will look back on and laugh about.

4. Eminem may be remembered as a 2000's thing, even though he started gaining popularity in '99.

5. Build-A-Bear (existed in the 90's, gained popularity in the 00's.)

6. Blogging

7. new Star Wars trilogy (maybe...?)

I don't know, it's an interesting subject I can't help but ponder it. At the end of the day, though, it's probably healthiest to just enjoy the decade and not spend too much time analyzing. (As I tend to do!)

Thank you for your insights!

No comments: