Wednesday, January 04, 2006

favorite movies 2005

With Oscar nominees being announced at the end of this month, I've been contemplating. What are my favorite movies from 2005? Despite lots of hype, I think 2005 was a sparse year for movies. But, amongst the ruins, a handful of gems shine. Here are my favorite movies from last year:

Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
Sitting in a crowded theater opening night, my expectations for the final Star Wars installments were not too high. After Episodes 1 and 2 were kind of odd curveballs, falling short of expectations, I thought this one would be the same. However, that proved to be wrong!

George Lucas eased off the CGI effects in exchange for old-fashioned model making. And, the results show. Also, with the experience of directing the first two, Lucas seemed to hit a new stride with Revenge of the Sith. It was also obvious that he was much more passionate about this story than the first two episodes. Leading performances are great. Despite the exceedingly dark tone, it's still a fun Star Wars movie that is worthy of the original trilogy.

Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith Official web site

Broken Flowers
Director Jim Jarmusch wrote this offbeat film, and released it to staunch mixed critical reaction. This is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it film. I happen to be one who loves this one. I saw it again recently (It was just released on DVD), and it was just as magical as the first time I saw it. Bill Murray glues the whole thing together with a brilliant and subtle performance. And, of course, a wonderful cast of supporters (including Jeffrey Wright, Sharon Stone, and Julie Depley) really enhance this movie. I don't know if there are Academy Awards awaiting this movie (I think probably not), but it doesn't matter. I love it. It is gentle, poetic, heartfelt, and funny.

Broken Flowers Official web site

Super Size Me
Okay, so this one technically came out in 2004. So, sue me. Its effects spilled over into 2005. And, I still think about it every time I see the golden arches.

Morgan Spurlock went on a crusade to unveil the terrible truths of McDonalds fast food. Eating nothing but McDonald's fast food for 30 days, this documentary follows the bizarre ups and downs (mostly downs) of his journey. Developing really serious health problems, Morgan shows the reality that fast food is really, really, really bad for you!

Super Size Me Official web site

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Okay, folks. I know this pick sounds flakey. But, hang with me here. I went into this film with flimsy expectations. I thought it may be interesting to see a new Tim Burton film. But I thought this remake was going to be half-baked, overwrought, and maybe even boring to sit through. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the neverending creativity, charm, and fun of this popcorn movie. Johnny Depp is a bit of an odd pick to play Willy Wonka. But, I love him as an actor. And, what do you expect from Burton? This is a great one.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Official web site


Admittedly, there are several films that will probably get showers of accolade that I simply missed this year. For example, Walk the Line somehow slipped by me. And, Pride and Prejudice will probably get some Oscar attention. Brokeback Mountain, which I am not particularly interested in, will also probably get some props. LuGood Night and Good Luck is probably fantastic. But, I missed it, too.

On top of that, there are films which I should have liked more, but simply didn't. They had the potential to be favorites, but didn't quite make the cut. For example, the Chronicles of Narnia is certainly interesting. But, not really one of my favs. Also, Corpse Bride proved to be an interesting new release by Tim Burton and Danny Elfman. Which, by all accounts, could have been a classic. But, was just so-so in my book.

Also worthy of honorable mention is the new King Kong film. It is fun, different, epic, and exciting. It is worthy of mention.

Click here for the IMDB official "Road to the Oscars" web site. There is a poll there which you can fill out, to vote for your favorites of 2005.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

You really should try to catch Walk the Line at the dollar theater or something. I thought it was FANTASTIC, and I have never been the hugest Johnny Cash fan. I thought Joaquin and Reese both gave stunning preformances.

Jessie said...

Hey O-van! Here are my genuine favs for the year: 1) Chronicles of Narnia (It was everything and more than I wanted it to be)
2) Walk the Line (True to Cash's autobiography, this film is moving and wonderfully acted) 3) Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 4) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 5)Corpse Bride
I regret that in my eagerness to see some of these long anticipated films I have gotten away from art films this year. A few that I still plan to see and think will do well at the Academy are: The Squid and the Whale, Shopgirl, Capote, Howl's Moving Castle, Good Night and Good Luck, Pride and Prejudice, Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and Memoirs of a Geisha. I should also express my extreme disappointment in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which fell far below my lofty expectations this year, and almost seemed unfinished and thrown together.