Friday, December 16, 2005

sick day

I was driving to work today, up the redneck interstate. I began to feel a queasy spasm in my abdomen. The chinese I ate earlier? Probably. The weight of my job? That, too.

I pulled over on an interstate exit, and pulled out my cell phone. I dialed my retail store of employment, and asked for the manager. I explained, simply, that I felt sick and didn't think I could work today. I felt somewhat guilty, but also resolved about not working. Was I just flaking out? Partially. But, I was also searching myself. I do that a lot lately. She was understanding and kind about it, and told me to feel better soon.

Now, I sit in my house, tired. Tired, but relaxed. I feel better, like a kid who stayed home from school. I've been putting too much pressure on myself to meet the expectations of others. I think that's my biggest problem. Sometimes it's hard to just be you. So often I allow outer forces to push me around. Well, not today. And, if I'm lucky, not any other day. Too much exhaustion makes Jack a dull boy.

No comments: