Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas stress

December 6? Can it be true? This first week of December has drifted by too fast. I have been trying to enjoy the Christmas season, in my own ways. It's so easy to get bogged down in all the commerialism that goes on around us. It's easy to grow cynical about the Christmas holiday. It's also a temptation to mourn for the lost days of childhood nostalgia (even though those childhood memories are idealized!)

The key is to approach this Christmas as a brand new opportunity. There has never been a Christmas 2005, so it's a new time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to feel a certain way about Christmas. Just plan out things you want to do in celebration of Christmas, and don't sweat it! Get creative with your celebration ideas. Me? Well, I've got a collection of Christmas favorite movies in my Netflix queue. Home Alone, It's a Wonderful Life, and the hilariously cheesey Jingle All the Way, just to name a few. And, I blogged recently about watching the ALF Christmas special, and actually crying. Funny, and touching to cry while watching ALF.

I've also been listening to some fantastic Christmas music. You know, "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", and whatnot. All the Bing Crosby classics, as well as Burl Ives. And, yes, The Chipmunks. But, I don't overload on Christmas music. I listen to it until the moment passes, then it's back to Busta Rhymes. (Just kidding.) But, the point is, Christmas in moderation is healthy.

And finally, whatever your family situation is this year, whatever your financial situation is, however your emotional state, just remember the most important thing: The point of this whole celebration! Don't lose touch with the roots of Christmas. It's an old, old story that dates back 2000 years. A baby, born in unlikely circumstances, with you and me on His mind. It's also about giving. Maybe a Christmas charity donation will lift your spirits, and help someone in need!

Bottom line: I'm working in retail this Christmas. That's right! And, that has the potential to kill any joy Christmas may hold for me, if I let it. That's why I have to keep a healthy perspective about Christmas, and remind myself that it has nothing to do with people fighting over Furbies.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Wow, Evan. I think that we must be on the internet at the same time. I just posted an entry too. Anyway, I really needed to hear what you just wrote. I was just telling people this morning that this year it just doesn't seem like Christmas. I didn't really know if it was because I have been too busy, if people I'm around just aren't that friendly this year, or if it was because of other circumstances. I really do need to remember the reason for the season and to not lose the joy of Christmas because of retarded stress.

Good word, Evan. Good word. :)