Thursday, October 06, 2005

Hurricane victims

As we all know, hurricane relief continues. And, as far as we all know, it will most likely continue for years to come. And, I also know that there are varying views and opiniong about how this crisis was handled by the government. In my low budget opinion, there are political leanings on both sides that could stand to benefit from putting political spin on the situation. One thing we almost all agree on, however, is how the government, both on local and federal levels, botched things up. I won't go into detail about my opinion about Mayors and such, but we all know what happened.

Now that some time has passed since this tragic hurricane Katrina, the relief continues for the victims who lost their homes. We all have things we can do, whether we help rebuild firsthand, or give financially to the Red Cross. Me? I was considering going on a trip to Mississippi with my alma matter college, Carson-Newman, to help out. Now, I'm reconsidering. I may not logistically be able to get all the elements together in order to go. But, I've been left with questions. How much comfort am I willing to give up for others? How much actual work am I willing to do for others? Am I not serving people, just because I'm not going on a trip? As I look out my window at this dreary rainy evening, which has been blown in by the latest hurricane, these heavy issues weigh on me.

Even if you only give a few dollars to the Red Cross, at least we can all contribute in one way or another.

No comments: