Sunday, October 09, 2005

best birthday ever


I think my greatest birthday celebration would have to be my 11th birthday party. Why, I remember it as if it were yesterday. (This is the part where the wavy lines take you back to 1990.)

A group of my guy friends (No icky girls) met, with my Dad, at Pizza Hut. It was a wondrously late 80's way to begin the festivities. Pizza Hut, being 80's as it is, was a wonderful post-Chucky Cheese, pre-"I don't care anymore" restaurant of perfection for young boys. It's got the atmosphere, it's got the caffeine-charged Coke. And, of course, it is the prime spot to gorge your young body on greasy pepperoni pizza. (Cowabunga, dude!) Then my Dad handed out 2 dollar bills as party favors. (Brilliant, Dad!)

After a dinner of bliss, we left the Pizza Hut and headed to the movie theater. For you see, this was no ordinary day. This was the friday that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles debuted on the big silver screen. That's right. And, we would be the first to witness its glory. Being intelligent as we were, my Dad and I had already purchased the tickets earlier that day. We purchased enough tickets for the whole rowdy goofy group of us young boys hungry to see some cinematic violence.

Upon reaching the theater, the parking lot was packed. The line at the ticket booth was unbelievable. As we strolled through the entrance, I encountered a friend of mine from school, Will. His face seemed astonished when he saw us walking past the line. "How do you already have tickets?!" He asked, amazed. I simply told him, quite proudly, that we had purchased the tickets earlier that afternoon. So, the whole horde waltzed in, unscathed by the fact that the 7:00 PM showing of TMNT was sold out.

The cinematic glee that ensued was unforgettable. The theater was already jam packed, so we couldn't all sit together. We had to seperate, in different rows. As the movie extravaganza began, I soaked it up like a dying desert wanderer slurps up a puddle of cold water. My excitement level and caffeine level reached new heights as the ninja turtles "kicked butt" onscreen.

After the movie, we headed back to my house to finish up the night with more traditional ceremony. I tore open an array of gifts. (mostly TMNT paraphernalia.) Then, we gorged our young bodies once again on sugary birthday cake.

Ah, don't we all sometimes wish times could be simpler? Those days were fantastic. Of course, being an adult is fun, too. But, random childhood memories are a de-light. As far as birthday celebrations, this one is in the top three I guess.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Awesome! I think that you know about my love for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My sister and I were totally into them. We even went to see their show at Rupp Arena. It was so fun.

I still have all of those movies somewhere. I think that it is so fun to show them to kids today, if you're baby sitting or something. They've never seen them, and they think that they are the best thing ever, and who am I to disagree? After all, they are heros in a half-shell. Turtle power! ;)

Jessie said...

Oh my dump! I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I remember when the big screen version hit theaters. I brought my Donatello action figure, and barely made it before the opening night sold out. I was with my mom, my brother, my sister, and I think a couple of cousins, and I ended up having to sit in the floor at the theater because it was so full, but I didn't care. After seeing the movie, I quickly changed my favorite from Donatello to Raphael. He was bad-ass in that movie! I own it, along with the two sequels (not as cool). We should watch it one night.
icky girls? aw. come on.