Monday, August 15, 2005

Thompson/Muir

Today I walked along the Hiawasee River. Yes, the very place where naturalist/writer John Muir once marveled at the natural beauty and architecture of the land. It truly is beautiful, and very rough.

I also read quite a bit about the life of Hunter S. Thompson today. Okay, am I the only one who thinks he was just completely insane? I mean, some of the crazy stories are fascinating to read. But, overall, it's hard to admire a man whose legacy is all about how many drugs he did. I guess there's the whole gonzo journalism thing. But, still, it's all quite strange. I will give him this: when I read the stories of his eccentric drug-fueled insanity, underneath it all there was a genuine inspiration. I guess you have to really go for something if you have that deep hunger for it. I don't think Thompson was a "genius". But, maybe revolutionary. Or, at the least, he was cutting edge. I don't know where I'm going with this. The guy was crazy, yet inspirational. It's a paradox, and I have mixed feelings about it. It's just the same way we all feel about Ben Affleck, right? We like the guy, but don't want to admit it.

Guess I'll stop this blog while I'm still ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

muir i like... affleck, not so sure about.