Thursday, August 25, 2005

autumn time

Well, as the summer lumbers on into late August, I am beginning to sense the first traces of fall. The afternoons are not quite as blistering and oppressive. There is a cool breeze most of the time. The humidity has eased its blanket from around the earth, thankfully. Schools are back in here in Tennessee, and the day light is getting shorter day after day.

This is going to be an unusual autumn for me. I haven't experienced fall in almost two years. At least, the real Appalachian fall. The hillsides smothered with oranges, yellows, reds, and browns. That's my favorite, you know.

Along with this time of year, which is my favorite, there are certain traditions. Since trading in the scuzzy Hollywood fastlane lifestyle, this fall is going to be a more traditional down-home experience. And, traditionally, there is certain music that accompanies that. Over the years, I've developed kind of my favorite autumn time music. Some of the associations are subconcious, associating a certain song or album to a certain time of year. So, I'd like to share with you some of my favorite fall time music, which dates back as early as 1997.


1. Beck - One Foot in the Grave
I first got into this album around 2000. I love the early Beck style, and the simplicity of the music. There is also the early Beck humor laced throughout, which makes it twice as enjoyable. This is an album that happened pre-Mellow Gold, and pre-Odelay, so it's sort of a side project. Which, makes it even better. But, there's a greyish meloncholy edge that makes it appropriate for fall. It's also an album that makes you want to play in a pile of freshly raked leaves.

An aside:
While you're at it, check out the bizarre journey of "Mellow Gold" (very fall-like) and "Odelay", a late summer/early fall celebration. And, "Odelay" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

2. Smashing Pumpkins - Various
Now, I hesitate with the "various" recommendation. And, here's the reason: there is not really one whole album that is appropriate for fall. It's mostly the band's overall vibe that fits in with the theme. There's sort of a drab, intensely emotional, vaguely Halloween-is-coming-soon thing happening here. But, among my two favorite Pumpkins albums, "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness", and "Ava Adore", there are some real gems. Not all songs are winners, but most are perfect autumn adornements. Another fall song, not included on either of these albums, is "Disarm". It's worth checking out. And "Today." I don't know why it reminds me so much of fall, but it just does, okay? Back off!

3. Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash
Ah, nostalgia. Nothing sweeps me back to warm cozy coffee houses in the late cold fall like Dave Matthews. I can almost taste the Capuccino when I listen to the soothing melodies and soaring acoustic guitars. I feel like a college freshman again, in a good way. Favorites: "Crash Into Me", and "Satellite".

Honorable mention: Radiohead - OK Computer
Still brilliant. Still beautiful. Still sad.

These are not my only fall albums. But, to list everything here would be a tediously long blog entry. Some recent discoveries are The Shins, particularly the Chutes Too Narrow album. This band is thanks to my friend Tim who recommended them. I hope you enjoy!

You can check out all these albums on AllMusic.com

1 comment:

Tim said...

I agree with you on most of these selections. One of my personal favorites for Fall is Neil Young's "Harvest" album. This is also one of my all time favorites, but it has a special fall sort of feel as well.

Also, Beck's album "Sea Change" is another fall album that I particularly like. Maybe I associate with fall because I bought it when it came out, which was a September, and I was obsessed with that album for the first few months it was out.

That's all.