Wednesday, August 10, 2005

hold the proverbial press


eleanor cook
Originally uploaded by ehiggin.

Whoa! I heard recently on the news that two jurors in the Michael Jackson case regret their acquital! I can't handle this. In my soul, I was settled with the verdict. I was somewhat surprised that Jackson had been found innocent of all those charges, but the court of law was good enough for me. I mean, any respectable person is going to have OJ Simpson-like doubts about the verdict, but nothing too incriminating.

But NOW...these two schmoes step out into the public eye and claim they regret the acquital. All these weird "behind-the-scenes" stories are coming to the surface. And it also happens that both these jurors are going to write books. Hm. How coincidental. Eleanor Cook's book is going to be called "Guilty as Sin, Free as a Bird." And, Ray Hultman's book will be called "The Deliberator."

So, why would they acquit Micheal Jackson, then write scandalous books revealing the "truth" of his guilt? Something doesn't add up. They both claim that they were sort of pressured into the acquital. But, come on. They knew how big a deal this trial was. I mean, it was child molestation. It was Michael Jackson's life on the line. It was the life of a child on trial. Not to mention, this child's whole family was affected. Why would anything persuade a person against their belief in a trial of that magnitude? To me, it could be a huge stunt to sell books.

But there's always two sides to any story. Watching 79 year old Eleanor Cook on the news, I was confused. She seemed genuinely moved by the fact that a "child molester" had been set free. She was brought to tears as she talked about the weight of her guilt. I'm tempted to say that a 79 year old is not going to be a good actor, but Christopher Lee proves that wrong.

The bottom line is, now all my suspicions of Michael are drudged back up. I mean, how could a grown 45 year old man not understand that having small children in your own bed is not okay?!? You can say "eccentric" this, and "lost his childhood" that, but it doesn't seem right. Any grown adult should understand that. That's why Michael was tried as an adult, and not as a child. He's responsible for his actions. Now I don't know about his innocence anymore. Are they creating a publicity stunt to sell books, or getting the truth off their conscience?

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Back in the nineties, when the first accusations against the Michael Jackson were made, I wrote letters to government officials and made posters in protest of the ridiculous and horrible way the press were treating one of my childhood heroes. It was obviously a scam, I thought. My ten year old heart couldn't handle the truth. Now, I strangely pity the 45 year old decaying psychotic. Did he molest that kid? I don't know. I hope not. Does he need medical attention? I am now thoroughly convinced. He is a man sadly deluded by his past.