Friday, January 28, 2005

Oscar buzz

I just read the Oscar nominations for this year, and I had to write a new post immediately.
This is kind of a strange year for the Academy Awards. They've got a list of nominees this year that include the traditional Oscar big budget Hollywood production, and the low budget indie pics they've come to embrace over the last few years. Almost every year, I inadvertently see two or three of the Oscar nominated Pictures of the year. This year I happened to see "Finding Neverland" and "The Aviator."
I wasn't surprised that Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated for "The Aviator", but Johnny Depp surprised me with "Finding Neverland." All his work is incredible. If he is nominated for "Finding Neverland", what about "Donnie Brasco?" I'm not complaining about his nomination, it's just strange that he's just now recognized for his consistent and prolific acting over the years. Personally, I think he should have been nominated for best actor for "Edward Scissorhands", "Ed Wood", and "Donnie Brasco." However, Finding Neverland is a solid and heartfelt performance by Depp, and I hope he wins.
BUT, I think we all know who's going to win best actor this year. Working at Universal, I was hearing Oscar buzz about Jamie Foxx long before "Ray" even came out. In fact, I was so turned off by all the Oscar buzz, I never saw the film. But, he probably deserves it and I wish him the best. He seemed to pour his heart and soul into it.
I'm kind of confused by the best supporting role nomination of Jamie Foxx for "Collateral."
He's going to have a tough time against Clint Eastwood, though. Eastwood's reputation and track record are incredible. I haven't seen "Million Dollar Baby", but it's on my list of the next one I want to see.
The most pleasant surprise in the acting categories is Alan Alda in "The Aviator." When I saw "The Aviator", his performance really imprinted on my mind. He really nailed it, and I hope he wins.
I was also surprised that Natalie Portman was nominated for "Closer." I think she should have been nominated for "Garden State." But, at least she's being recognized. She's teriffic.
I was curious to see how the Academy would recognize "Eternal Sunchine of teh Spotless Mind." I was thinking this might be Jim Carrey's year, but the writing was recognized. I'll take it.
Another curiosity was "The Passion of the Christ." While it did get recognized for the score, and makeup, ummm...what about Jim Caviezel? He had to portray a character that already has a lot of preconcieved baggage, AND make it applicable to the tone of the film. I think his portrayal was deep and human. If you've seen "The Passion of the Christ", I ask you: Did you ever for one second feel like you were watching an actor portray Jesus? I didn't. He totally threw himself into the role, and created the best film portrayal of Jesus I've ever seen. James Caviezel is my pick for this year's Oscar shaft.
Another milder Oscar shaft was Kate Winslet for Best Actress in "Finding Neverland." Wasnt' she awesome?
When I saw "The Incredibles", I knew it would get some kind of Oscar Recognition. I love love this film, and I hope it wins Best Original Screenplay, AND Best Animated Feature Film. I think it has a solid shot at both.
Does anyone doubt Best Song will be "Phantom of the Opera", "Learn to Be Lonely?" At least, I hope it wins.
I'm usually pretty good about predicting Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor. Everything else I'm hit or miss. I just pick my favorites and form my own opinions. If you have any Oscar thougts, please feel free to post a comment or two.

1 comment:

Joie Mayfield said...

Personally, I'm pulling for Ray for Best Picture, and Jamie Foxx for Actor. I, too, was surprised by the Collateral nom. It was a good movie, but his performance in that didn't stick out that much. I LOVED "The Incredibles." I didn't get to see "Finding Neverland," "Sideways," or "Million Dollar Baby." So, I don't know what to say about that! :) Anyway, that's my thoughts.