Sunday, January 09, 2005

Helen from Texas: statistic #85743837

I drive a 1991 honda CRX. If you're not sure what that is, just imagine a bigger-than-average go cart. That's what it is. I love that car, but it's not working right now. It won't start. I'm not really a mechanic, or something, so I have no idea what's wrong with it.
Yesterday, I had to walk to work. LA and surrounding regions are experiencing strange weather, so of course it's been pouring rain here for three or four days. And it's cold rain. So, I made my way down Ventura Boulevard, then made a left onto Lankershim. I met a woman at a crosswalk across from Universal. She was a tall Puerto Rican woman, probably late 20's, with shades. She approachedf me and asked me how to get to the tram that goes up to Citywalk. It just so happened that that was where I was going. Her mother was with her, too. Her mom was a character directly from Napoleon Dynamite. She simply nodded in agreement with everything her daughter said. I told them they could walk with me to the tram. It's rare to find someone who's that friendly on the street.
I quickly learned that Helen was new in town, and she was from Texas. She was here to persue acting, obviously. She excitedly listed a string of celebrities she had seen since being there, and all her acting plans. I told her I had been here about a year. She was really excited to meet someone who was here trying to break into the acting world.
The confrontation with this woman did strange things to my soul. We walked down Citywalk, and she was soaking up all the sites in awe. She couldn't ask questions fast enough. We talked about Studio City, Jay Leno, reality TV, extras casting, and Burbank. She enthusiasticlly told me she was going to start looking for an agent immediately. I felt like a wise sage imparting wisdom upon a new student. She said and thought all the things I thought when I first moved here. I told her, "You have to be really patient." She shook her head quickly and told me she had heard that. I knew in my heart that she had no clue. I also told her, "You know, you're competing with millions of people. It's tough, and you're basically treated like a commodity, and that's if you're lucky." She quickly explained to me that she heard all the stories, and she knew what she was getting into. She had no idea.
Helen may or may not stay in Hollywood. But, as I walked into the pizza joint, and she was standing in the middle of Citywalk, smiling and waving with her mother, I felt like I was talking to myself one year ago. All those fresh hopes and dreams slowly becoming realized. I knew that if she stayed long, she would experience intense rejections, elation and success, pride and humility. She would come full circle to truly realizing all the stereotypes. They wouldn't just be strings of cliches, but actual experiences she could talk about. I knew that most likely, there would be a day when she would realize that being at home is more important than her circle of superficial aquaintances. She would face the fact that real relationships are far more precious than imaginary fantasies.
if you want to check out Citywalk at Universal, click here.

No comments: