Saturday, December 04, 2004

Wolverine Water

The second week or so upon moving to Hollywood, I got a job up at Universal Studios. There were many advantages to working there. First, it's only about a mile away. That makes it easy on the 'ol CRX. Secondly, Universal employees have access to the lower lot, where all the movies, commercials, shows, etc are made. That means I can wander around sets, backlot soundstages, and production offices. I'll just use this blog to share a couple of the first exciting things that happened to me when I started working there.
I don't actually work in the theme park. I work on the Citywalk outside the theme park. One day i went up to work, and right outside the pizza joint where I work, they had an elaborate red carpet set up, and a section with all the media. I found out that the Van Helsing premiere was happening that night. Apparently, the media was right next to our pizza place, and the red carpet went right in front of it. This was hilariously perfect. Because I was an employee, I had access to the red carpet that even the media didn't have. I was outside on the Churro cart (if you don't know what a churro is, you have to find out!) And I saw slews of celebrities going down the red carpet. I had screaming fans on my right, media on my left, and the red carpet in front of me. Obviously, no one was buying any churros, so I got to just hang out and watch everything, while getting paid a very small amount.
Near the end of the event, a woman came running up to the cart dressed very professionally. She frantically asked me, "Do you take credit cards? Do you take credit cards?" I regreted to inform her that the cart was cash only. She got really freaked out when I told her this. Then, she said, "I just need one bottle of water. I'll pay you later, or whatever it takes. I just really need it now!" I didn't know how to react, being bombarded like this. Then, she seemed to get really desperate as she checked her watch. "Look, this bottle of water is for Hugh Jackman. I swear. I'll pay you later." Pay me later? Why, anything for Mr. Jackman. As I got the bottle out, another man came running up to the cart frantically, waving cash around. He bought more water, and paid for the woman's water. Apparently, she was Hugh Jackman's personal assistant, or something. Then, minutes later, cameras went crazy, and the crowd went nuts as Hugh came strolling down the carpet. When he got in front of the cart, he stopped and began signing autographs for some little girls. Then, he WALKED OFF THE CARPET and stood feet in front of the cart!!! So, there I was, in the middle of this movie premiere, with Hugh Jackman signing autographs, surrounded by flashing bulbs and tv cameras. Was this really happening? Doesn't that only happen in bizarre dreams?
There's nothing profound about this story. I thought it was interesting, or something.

1 comment:

Joie Mayfield said...

Awesome. Wolverine is amazing. :)