Saturday, December 18, 2004

best week ever

Well, friends, in true Hollywood form, this has been an absolutely bizarre week. It has also been exciting, and crazy. At least, it has been for me.
Wednesday night, up at Universal, we had our Christmas employee party. I had to work that night, so I went after my low budget shift. So, it was in this space upstairs that used to be some kind of bar. It was empty, so they used it for the party. I walked up there and was greeted by various co-workers. There were probably about 150 people or so. The DJ was kickin' the 80's music, so that was good. They raffled off over 1000 dollars in gifts, and I won a 50 dollar gift certificate to EB Games. The grand prize was an XBox, which I unfortunately didn't win. However, I was happy with my prize.
They gave away about 8 tickets to the Premiere of "Meet the Fockers", which was thursday night. My friend Jose won two tickets, but he had to work. He called me thursday afternoon before I went to work and asked me if I wanted to trade my gift certificate for the Premiere tickets. Now, I love Ben Stiller and everything, but I ALSO love playing video games for hours. So, I had to politely turn him down. (I hung up on him.) No, not really. But, I told him he may be able to sell the tickets. They were worth about 100 bucks each. I called my roommate Andy, who had the day off, and asked him if he would be interested in buying the tickets from Jose. He was excited about the opportunity, so he jumped at it. He and his ex, Katie, bought the tickets.
Quick background on Katie: and I hope she doesn't mind me telling this: she has been struggling with a brain tumor for months. She had to have surgery, and chemo. She still has treatments, and is undergoing continual treatment. She doesn't get the chance to get out much, so she was happy to get the tickets.
Fastforward to the Premiere: Andy and Katie were in the Universal Ampitheatre. They saw Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow. Katie and Andy both wear the yellow cancer braclet things that Lance started. They got to talk to him about it, and Katie got to tell him that he inspired her. Cool, huh?
Meanwhile, I was outside the pizzeria watching the red carpet. I got to see Jerry Stiller, Ben Stiller, and Dustin Hoffman. Many of the people around me saw Barbara Streisand, but I didn't see her. She's afraid of public appearance, so they snuck her in the back. However, my boss got some really nice pictures of her somehow. The media was going nuts because the celebrity status was so high. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Robert DeNiro because he's in New York hosting Satruday Night Live.
This was also the second time I have seen Dustin Hoffman and Ben Stiller. The first time, my friend Les and I were on the Universal lot one afternoon and they were shooting "Meet the Fockers." We didn't know we were standing right next to Dustin Hoffman's trailer. He came out of the parking garage, walked across the street, and walked into his trailer right next to us. Then, he came out, walked around us, and went onto the set. It was hilarious that we were in the way.
last night (friday night) I was in the grocery store buying ingredients for tuna casserole, and Eric Estrada was in line behind me. He was with his kids, so I didn't bother him.
You can probably find some information on the "Meet the Fockers" premeire on the internet. Peace and I'm out.

No comments: