Friday, December 03, 2004

Following in the footsteps of Will Ferrell

Tonight at work a co-worker asked me why I was in Hollywood. I told him I was here to pursue comedy. He kind of chuckled and said, "Keep your day job." Do people actually say that?
Shortly after I moved here, I auditioned for and began taking classes at the Groundlings school of improvisation. They've got a web site that explains what they're all about at http://www.groundlings.com. Anyway, this school is down in Hollywood on Melrose Avenue. It's kind of a sleazy avenue, and it's known for its trendy shops and whatnot. Not my cup of tea, it's a bit too trashy. The Groundlings school has been around since the 70's, so I suppose a lot of things have changed there since the school was founded.
I arrived at 10 AM on the morning of my audition appointment. There were about twelve others scheduled for a group audition. Sitting in the lobby, looking at pictures of various Groundlings sketches through the years, I struck up a conversation with a girl sitting next to me. The vibe in the air was kind of tense, so I wanted to break the ice.
"I feel like we're waiting at the dentist's office, or something."
We began talking about reality tv, or some such nonsense. The lobby was filled with Hollywood hopefuls wringing their hands, some chatting, some staring at the wall nervously.
As if i wasn't nervous enough, the doors to the Groundlings theatre opened, and Mindy Sterling emerged. If you don't recognize that name, you may remember her from the Austin Powers movies. If I wasn't nervous yet, I was nervous then!! She herded us into the theatre like cattle, and we all took our seats.
There it was. The Groundlings stage. Hallowed ground for comedians and/or improv fans. Molly Shannon, Chris Kattan, Will Ferell, Chris Parnell, Mya Rudolph, Lisa Kudrow, Phil Hartman, and even Paul Reubens graced the stage as they got their training there at one time or another.
The audition process was intense, and intimidating at times. We played a series of improv "games", including one in which we all stood in a straight line on the stage. The first person would begin telling a story, until Mindy pointed to someone else, and they had to continue the story seamlessly. We did a few two person scenes in which we were given a scenerio, and we had to act it out. I was in a scene where I was in a restaurant. The other guy was the waiter, and he had to inform me that the restaurant was closing for good that day. I'll tell you right now, I made some bold choices in that scene. When the waiter informed me that the restaurant was closing, instead of acting sad or disappointed, which would be the typical reaction, I burst into a fit of pure joy. I explained that I was happy the place was closing down, because my wife forced me to go there every day. After the scene, Ms. Sterling said, "Evan, that was a really interesting choice to play it happy." I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was being honest.
After the audition was done, they opened the door and herded us back out like cattle. "We'll be in touch", in true Hollywood form. I actually felt really bad about my audition. I walked out of the doors, and began making my way down the sidewalk. Half way to my car I stopped. I wanted to turn around and go back. I wanted to beg them to let me in. I wanted to explain that I was just having an off day, and that I really am good at improv. I wanted to beg them. But, I didn't. I just went to my car and drove back to my apartment.
The next day, I got the good news that I had been accepted into the school. "Congratulations! We'll take your money!"
I'm sorry for being a name dropper. I don't care anymore. I don't care about stepping on anyone's toes anymore. If you're not careful, people will take advantage of you and use you. One thing about city life, you have to be on your toes and stand your ground. I've been mellowed by this town, but also hardened. the Groundlings classes helped me focus and compose my goals. Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. There are many life lessons to be learned here in Hollywood, as well as acting lessons.
I also want to thank people who believe in me and encourage me in this endeavour. It's certianly a struggle. I've learned the true meaning of "struggling", as well as "starving." Even if I leave Hollywood as an anonymous statistic, I've still got my integrity....right?

1 comment:

Joie Mayfield said...

Evan Higginbotham is one of the greatest human beings on earth. Evan, it's always nice to hear your wisdom and brilliance. Also, just wanted to say thanks for sharing the gift of salvation with me.