Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell

I felt a very strange mix of emotions yesterday when I heard about the death of public figure Jerry Falwell.

As leader of the "Moral Majority", Falwell spearheaded a unique political movement. He had distinct and uncompromising spiritual and political views. These views fueled intense controvery.

When I was in college, I began to question the dogmatic authority of this man. I slowly began to regard his views as narrow, stuffy, and irrelevent. Especially when he blamed gay people for the tragedy of 9/11. (Sounds insane, but it's true. Falwell later retracted that statement, partially.) It was the statement of a bitter man out of touch with society.

But now, in retrospect and upon his death, my view is different. Yes, his views were what I consider ultra-conservative. And yes, he made mistakes. And yes, he had an exterior shell of superficiality, but no more than any other public figure. My view is different now because I see Falwell's torrid and varied legacy as that of a well-meaning, spiritually conscious, passionate man. I imagine that he was headstrong, determined, and deeply emotional about his beliefs.

My most distinct memory of this man was when I met him in high school. I was on a summer church camp with my Baptist youth group. The camp was on the campus of Liberty University. One morning, Falwell spoke to us about how great Liberty U was. Afterward, I went up front and shook his hand. I remember, he seemed fairly pudgy. And, his face looked more elderly and round from up close. Almost scary looking. He signed my dad's Bible. I know, it's weird. But, I felt like I had to have some excuse for going up front to meet him. And, he was signing stuff. So, I had him sign the inside cover of my dad's Bible. Weird.

Through all the controversy, and disagreements I had with the man, I still respect his legacy. And, I respect a man who will stand up in the face of what he perceives as injustice. He was probably a caring man under his stuffy exterior. I'll pray for that campus, and for his family. And I'll pray for future leaders, that they may be able to immulate his courage.

No comments: