Wednesday, March 14, 2007

stand-up

A local comedy club here in Knoxville called "The Comedy Zone" holds an open mic night every few Thursdays. On one such Thursday, a couple of weeks ago, I happened to have the night off from work. I immediately knew, despite my terror, that this was something I had to do.

My only other experience doing anything that could be considered genuine stand-up comedy was something I did a few years ago in college. It was an open mic night at a coffee house. I did about 5 minutes of improvisational rambling, which was nothing to write home about.

This time, I knew crap was different. This time it actually meant something.

The first night I did it, I had prepared a few minutes of material about my apartment. The place was dark, smoky, and some of the other comedians there were scary. I mean, genuinely brink-of-being-homeless-I-sell-drugs scary. But, once I talked to them for a minute, my fear was eased.

I felt like an amateur idiot on the stage, shaking like a leaf. No years of theater experience can prepare you. I bumbled nervously through the painfully unfunny set, stumbling over my words, talking a mile a minute. Then, about three minutes in, they turned on my microphone. Yes, I was living a genuine nightmare.

That was my introduction. Luckily, the next Thursday, I went back to open mic night. I had a much more polished set of jokes. I wasn't as scared. I got my GAME face on! It was a lot of fun, and I got a lot of positive feedback.

I want to try it again. My friends have been supportive, and this may be the beginning of a wonderful and bizarre new hobby for me!

6 comments:

wes said...

genius. i wish i could be there, as i am sure you can do an amazing job at stand-up comedy.

comedypace said...

Keep going back! Stage time is so important!

Let me know if you would like for me to look over your material!

Joel Pace
comedypace@aol.com
www.heffrontalent.com
Booker for all The Comedy Zone clubs and owner of the Knoxville Comedy Zone

Anonymous said...

awesome! I'm glad that you went and tried it again! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I can see you being really good at stand-up! Do more of it and keep up the updates! (unlike me, HA!)

Jessie said...

I really enjoyed watching you... there is a little bit of genius in everything you do, and I know you will only get better.

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I'm so thrilled and proud of you! I know it took a lot of courage to do!! You are one of the funniest people I know, and that's a gift!!! I so wish we could've been there to see you!! I'm sure that you ROCKED!